Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A day of prayer

Today has always been a somber day for me since my son and his partner work in New York city. My phone kept ringing early in the morning and since I'm a late sleeper I ignored the ringing, until the 3rd time and something told me to answer the phone. It was my son calling and asking me to turn the tv on and when I did, I began to cry and asked where he was at. He didn't make it into the city because of the 1st plane hitting the tower. I watched in shock as the second plane hit and Donnie said he could not get in touch with Gerald, so for the most part of the day, I was able to call each of them, but they couldn't get through to each other. Gerald had just come out of Starbucks and they saw the second plane fly over and everyone had said that was too low and planes don't fly over the city. I felt helpless that I couldn't get there to be with my sons. The city was in lock down and no one could leave until around 7 that night when they cleared people to cross the river into New Jersey and other parts of New York. My son took a picture from across the street of his apt of the first tower on fire and the date on the picture is 9-10-01---he forgot to change the date. Gerald's 2 cousins were in medical school and went to ground zero and she took pictures all the way to the towers and we got to see pictures that were never published. She sent me some extra ones and to look at them and see how tiny the men working looked next to the rubble was unbelievable. At the time Donnie was working for Virgin Records in Times Square and he said Bryant Park was filled with flowers, pictures and candles. I have been to ground zero 3 times and it is always a somber feeling looking down in the pit that once held shops, parking garage and subway. I have gotten to see the progress of one of the smaller towers that is finished and can't wait to go in December.

Seeing the 30,000 plus names on boards on the fence surrounding ground zero brings tears to my eyes each time. Prayers to all the familes and friends of loved ones who are heroes in my book because they paid the ultimate price for a freedom we often take for granted. May you all rest in peace. God Bless America

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen...

The Urban Chic said...

Thanks smooch, I know that you know I am a staunch supporter of our troops every where and their families. I watched Extreme Home Makeovers about the Marine who found the 2 policeman and then walked away without saying who he was---and cried with him.